Warm, nourishing, and brimming with earthy flavors, this Vegan Lentil Soup is the perfect embodiment of comfort food. Packed with plant-based protein, fiber, and an array of wholesome vegetables, this soup not only delights the taste buds but also provides a hearty, nutritious meal. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a cozy weekend treat, this recipe has got you covered.
How Long Does It Keep and Can You Make It in Advance?
Vegan Lentil Soup is a meal prep champion. When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it can stay fresh for up to 4-5 days. This makes it an excellent option for busy weeknights or for those who love to have ready-made meals on hand.
In fact, many people find that the flavors of this soup actually improve over time as the spices meld together. So, making it in advance is not only convenient but can also enhance the taste. Just remember to reheat it gently on the stove or in the microwave, adding a splash of water if needed to reach your desired consistency, and you’ll have a comforting, nutritious meal at your fingertips whenever you need it.
Essential Equipment for Making Vegan Lentil Soup
When it comes to whipping up a batch of hearty Vegan Lentil Soup, you’ll be delighted to know that no special equipment is required. This recipe is designed to be simple and accessible, requiring only basic kitchen tools that you likely already have on hand. A large soup pot or Dutch oven, a cutting board, a good chef’s knife, a stirring spoon, and measuring cups are all you need to get started. So, no need for fancy gadgets or specialized gear – just your everyday kitchen essentials, and you’ll be on your way to creating a delicious, nutritious bowl of vegan comfort in no time.
Serving Size of Vegan Lentil Soup: Perfect Portions
Each serving of Vegan Lentil Soup typically amounts to approximately one generous cup or 8 fluid ounces (240 milliliters) of this savory delight. This portion size strikes an ideal balance, providing a satisfying and filling meal without overwhelming your appetite. It’s the perfect amount to enjoy as a hearty lunch or dinner, especially when accompanied by a side of crusty bread or a fresh salad. The one-cup serving also makes it convenient for meal planning, allowing you to calculate nutrition and portion control effectively. So, whether you’re cooking for yourself, your family, or a gathering of friends, you can easily adjust the servings to suit your needs while relishing the comforting flavors of this vegan classic.
Vegan Lentil SoupCourse: LunchCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups chopped spinach or kale
Juice of 1 lemon
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots, celery, and red bell pepper to the pot. Sauté for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Sprinkle in the ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
- Pour in the rinsed lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (with their juices), and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the chopped spinach or kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the greens are wilted.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon and give the soup a final stir.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the vegan lentil soup hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Pair with crusty bread or your favorite vegan crackers for a wholesome and satisfying meal.
- Enhance Flavor with Homemade Vegetable Broth: While store-bought vegetable broth works well in this recipe, consider making your own for a more robust flavor profile. Simmering a mix of onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and herbs in water for an hour or two creates a rich and aromatic base that can elevate the taste of your lentil soup.
- Experiment with Lentil Varieties: Green and brown lentils are classic choices for lentil soup, but don’t hesitate to experiment with other varieties like red lentils or French green lentils. Each type offers a slightly different texture and taste, allowing you to customize your soup according to your preference.
- Play with Seasonings and Spices: While the suggested spices in the recipe add depth and warmth, feel free to get creative with your seasoning choices. Try adding a pinch of ground turmeric for color and a hint of earthiness or a dash of cinnamon for a touch of warmth. Adjust the spice levels to suit your taste for a personalized flavor experience.
- Incorporate Creaminess with Coconut Milk: For a luscious and creamy twist, consider adding a splash of coconut milk or coconut cream towards the end of cooking. This not only adds richness but also balances the flavors beautifully, making the soup even more indulgent.
- Textural Variation with Toppings: While the soup is hearty on its own, adding some textural toppings can take it up a notch. Toasted pumpkin seeds, crushed red pepper flakes, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, or even a dollop of dairy-free yogurt can introduce layers of taste and texture to your bowl, making each bite a delightful adventure.