When the sun is shining and strawberries are in season, there’s nothing quite like a classic strawberry shortcake to satisfy your sweet cravings. This vegan version of the beloved dessert is not only cruelty-free but also bursting with the vibrant flavors of fresh strawberries and rich, fluffy coconut whipped cream. Whether you’re hosting a summer picnic, a family gathering, or just treating yourself, this vegan strawberry shortcake will be a hit with everyone at the table. So, let’s get started on creating this delightful, plant-based dessert.
How Long Does Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Keep in the Fridge and Can You Make It in Advance?
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is a delightful dessert that’s perfect for gatherings and special occasions, and you’ll be pleased to know that it can be made in advance. When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this dessert will stay fresh for about 1 to 2 days. However, for the best results, we recommend assembling the shortcakes shortly before serving to maintain their ideal texture and flavor. You can prepare the individual components, such as the shortcakes, strawberry filling, and coconut whipped cream, ahead of time and store them separately. Then, when you’re ready to enjoy, simply assemble the shortcakes for a fresh and delicious treat that captures the essence of summer.
Special Equipment for Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Creating Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is a joyous experience, and the good news is that it doesn’t require any special or fancy equipment. You’ll likely find everything you need in a well-equipped kitchen. Basic tools like mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a baking sheet, parchment paper, and a pastry cutter or fork for the shortcake dough are all that’s required. For the coconut whipped cream, an electric mixer will be handy, but a simple hand whisk can also do the job with a bit more effort. Overall, this recipe is accessible to home cooks without the need for specialized kitchen gadgets, making it a delightful dessert that’s easy to prepare.
Serving Size of Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
A single serving of our delectable Vegan Strawberry Shortcake typically includes one assembled shortcake. This portion offers a generous slice of the sweet summer dessert, featuring a tender shortcake base layered with macerated strawberries and topped with luscious coconut whipped cream. Each serving provides a satisfying indulgence that captures the vibrant flavors of fresh strawberries while being mindful of portion size, making it a delightful treat to savor without overindulging.
Vegan Strawberry ShortcakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
- For the Shortcake
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, solid (or vegan butter)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- For the Strawberry Filling
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
- For the Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can (13.5 oz) full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare the Shortcakes
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the solid coconut oil (or vegan butter) to the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter or fork to incorporate it until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Drop 6 equal portions of the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the shortcakes are golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the Strawberry Filling
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice. Gently toss to coat the strawberries in the sugar and let them sit for about 15 minutes to release their juices.
- Prepare the Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chill a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Open the chilled can of coconut milk and carefully scoop out the solid coconut cream that has separated from the liquid. Place it in the chilled mixing bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the coconut cream.
- Whip the mixture with an electric mixer on high speed until it becomes thick and fluffy, resembling traditional whipped cream.
- Assemble the Shortcakes
- Slice the cooled shortcakes in half horizontally.
- Spoon a generous amount of the macerated strawberries onto the bottom half of each shortcake.
- Top the strawberries with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
- Place the other half of the shortcake on top.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and a fresh strawberry if desired.
- Choose Ripe, Sweet Strawberries: The key to an exceptional vegan strawberry shortcake lies in the quality of your strawberries. Opt for ripe, sweet strawberries that are in season for the best flavor. Look for berries that are firm, plump, and brightly colored. If possible, source them from a local farmer’s market or pick-your-own farm for the freshest and most flavorful strawberries.
- Add a Touch of Lemon Zest: To enhance the overall flavor profile of your strawberry filling, consider adding a touch of lemon zest to the macerated strawberries. Lemon zest will impart a subtle citrusy aroma and a hint of brightness to the strawberries, complementing their natural sweetness. Start with a small amount and adjust to your taste preference.
- Ensure Proper Coconut Whipped Cream Chilling: For a fluffy and stable coconut whipped cream, ensure that your can of coconut milk is chilled properly. Refrigerate it overnight to allow the cream to separate from the liquid. Use only the solid coconut cream for whipping, leaving the liquid behind. Chilling your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer before whipping the cream will also help achieve the desired texture.
- Customize with Additional Flavors: While this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe is delicious as is, don’t hesitate to get creative with additional flavors. You can infuse the shortcake batter with a hint of almond or lemon extract for an extra layer of flavor. Additionally, consider drizzling a balsamic reduction over the strawberries for a sweet and tangy twist, or add a sprinkle of chopped mint leaves for a refreshing herbal note.
- Serve Chilled and Fresh: Vegan strawberry shortcake is at its prime when served fresh and chilled. Assemble the shortcakes just before serving to maintain the crispness of the shortcake while preserving the vibrant colors and textures of the strawberries and whipped cream. It’s the perfect dessert for a warm summer day, so take your time to savor every sweet bite.